The main point of interest is the Church of Panagia. Close to the Church, on a low hill at the northern foothills of the mountain, there was a rather extensive Mycenaean site (1600-1100 BC) where clay pots of the late Helladic era were found. Some of them were Early Helladic. On the white rocks, to the west of the church, there are small caves, which are supposed to be Mycenaean chamber tombs. The monument of Kinadis, commander of the ship of Menelaus, was probably built here.
Another point of interest in the settlement of Katonissios is an area called Karalis, a name associated with the time of the Greek Revolution. At that time Elafonisos was the property of Hussein-Bey of Faraklo who gave to Kara-Ali Pasha, the area of Panagia. When Kara Ali came to collect the taxes, he ordered, as soon as he saw the church, to turn it into a stable. But before he finished his phrase, he fell from his horse and died in this area that still bears his name. This point offers a magnificent view of Katonisi.
In the Kotonas the Tower of the Melas family dominates the landscape. It was built in 1863 following the architecture of the towers of Mani. The Melas family fled from Mani to Elafonisos because of a feud.
Other beautiful areas of Katonisi are Elies, Ammouditsa, Tsimbiris, Lekania, Kampi and others.
Mentis, K., 1994, S. Peloponnesus and its “smigopelaga” islands. - Il Peloponneso meridionale e le sue isole “smigopelaga”, Elafonisos: Library of Elafonisos/Bibliotheca di Elafonisos